Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade granite cleaner and "clorox" wipes!

A while ago I posted about how I was going to start trying recipes for homemade cleaning products that I had found on Pinterest, but so far have only posted one! I have shared some other recipes that I have found, but not for cleaning products, so it's time to get back on track! Mason has been sick the last couple of days, and this morning he was very clingy (but no fever...) so I ended up putting him back to bed an hour after he had woken up, and he slept for 3 hours! I firgured this was a good time to try out the second recipe that you will read about (I actually made this on Saturday, but hadn't had a chance to try it yet!) The first one is...

Granite Cleaner
Granite cleaners can be quite pricy. I found this recipe a long time ago, like when I first joined pinterest, but ended up changing it a little.

I had bought two granite cleaners long before we got our granite installed (we were waiting for over a year for cabinets, and no cabinets means no countertops!). I bought a Zep brand cleaner (heavy duty) and an all natural one. Unfortuntaley, I really wasn't crazy about either. The Zep one smelled strongly and left streaks, and the natural one I found just didn't do the job I was hoping for.

So I called the place where we got our granite and asked if they sold any cleaners. The woman there told me they had one for about $10 (yikes!) but recommended I try a solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 10 parts water. I ended up going more with this recipe than the first, as I didn't want to leave any soap residue or fragrance on the counters. The first recipe only calls for a little of the soap and fragrance, but I didn't want to take the chance having any of that transferred to our food!

So I ended up using about 2 parts rubbing alcohol to 10 parts water---put it into a spray bottle, mist lightly, and rub with a dry cloth until it disappears. If there are gunky bits on my counter, I usually wipe them with a warm, wet cloth before using the spray.

I don't know the exact breakdown of price for this, but considering you can get rubbing alcohol at the dollar store, I would say it's less than 50 cents to make a whole spray bottle worth. And it gives your counters a nice clean shine, while disinfecting them (because of the alcohol). I might try adding a drop of dawn next time so that it would do a better job cleaning gunky bits...

The second recipe I tried was...

"Clorox" wipes
The original recipe can be found here.

I followed it exactly, except for the ammonia (which was optional), but only because I didn't have any.

On her blog, the author uses them to clean the bathroom. I also sometimes use clorox wipes to clean the bathroom (mostly just the toilet), but also like them for door handles and light switches. So I tried this solution on a few things---some easter eggs that I put out last week for Mason to play with, a bouncy ball, light switches, door handles, and my fridge door handles (stainless steel).

As I was using it, it seemed too soapy. I didn't see any residue left on the toys, light swtiches, or door handles once they had dried, although there was some when I was wiping, but the fridge door handles had dried soap on them afterwards. I think I will try to make this again, but next time use half the soap (it calls for 2 Tbsp), and use ammonia too.

Let me know if you try these recipes or have a different one for granite cleaner or "clorox" wipes that you use and find works well!

No comments:

Post a Comment