Saturday, January 12, 2013

This post isn't what it's supposed to be about either...

...mostly because I just made a new discovery and it will be quicker to write about than my other topic...that will come soon. This week just flew by!

I've mentioned before that I use Pinterest, and that I wanted to start trying some of those homemade cleaning solutions that I have a million of pinned. So yesterday I decided to try a tub and shower cleaner. It's not the most natural, but I feel a lot safer using it while pregnant than some of the harsh chemicals that are in other cleaners, and the smell isn't all that bad either.

I first saw it not too long after I joined Pinterest, and I kind of ignored it. Then a friend on Facebook posted that she had just tried it and how amazing it was. After that, I decided to pin it, but that was as far as I got. Until I was mopping my floors with hot water with a splash of vinegar, and was reminded of it. So here it is!

All you need is:
-1 sponge brush with a refillable soap dispenser in the wand (I bought one with a non-abrasive head because I was worried about the other one scratching my surfaces)
-1 part hot vinegar (I put it in the microwave until it was just about boiling)
-1 part blue Dawn dish soap (I don't know how important using the blue vs the green, yellow, or orange kind is, but that's what it called for, and that's what i had, so that's what I used!)

Stir the vinegar and dawn together until they are well combined, and pour into the refillable wand. Wet your surface down and then start scrubbing away.

Now here's where I stopped following the directions. My shower had a bit of build up on the walls, but it wasn't disgustingly dirty so maybe that's why this last part doesn't matter so much on my situation...I decided for my shower to stay clean, I should leave the brush right in there and use it at the end of my shower. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind, and my tub would go back to being rinsed before every bath, but only scrubbed once a month (I know, eww! But really, if it looked that bad, I would be doing it more often!)

So basically at the end of my shower I scrubbed down the walls, then rinsed them off with the shower head. The directions say to let it sit on there 10-20 mins (I left it for maybe 30 seconds) but when I looked a few hours later, after it had all air dried, it was shiny and sparkling new looking! Zero buildup was left.

So now I'm kind of kicking myself for not trying this sooner! All the scrubbing and breathing in stinky fumes...this option is not only way less work (you hardly have to scrub at all), but like I said, it doesn't smell that bad either--just like vinegary blue dawn lol :)

Try it and let me know what you think! I promise you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment