Thursday, June 14, 2012

Homemade Crazy Bread!

I don't know about you, but I LOVE LIttle Caesar's Crazy Bread, with extra buttery-cheesy goodness! Unfortunately, the nearest Little Caesar's Pizza Place is an hour away...so I don't get it very often (which may actually be a good thing...). When Derrick and I were dating, we used to get their cheapest combo at least once a week--it was around $8 for a pepperoni pizza, crazy bread, and dipping sauce. Not exactly the healthiest supper, but when you're a poor student, it works!


I found this recipe for pizza dough a few weeks ago, and found a knock-off recipe for Crazy Bread a few months ago, so the other day I decided to combine the two! The crazy bread recipe used store-bought pizza dough, butter, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese. Now unfortuantely, the stores around here (and by "here" I mean 30 minutes away) don't have frozen pizza dough--at least I've never seen any! So if I wanted that, I'd probably have to go to Lethbridge, again, an hour away....so I might as well just buy REAL Crazy Bread! So when I saw that the blogger that posted this recipe had turned hers into cheesy garlic sticks, I decided that I could do the same. 

So one day I decided that's what I wanted for part of my lunch, but of course decided this while I was making my lunch (the dough take about 1 1/2 hours so that wasn't going to happen)...so I used some fresh Naan bread that I had just bought the day before with the intention of turing into a pizza for Mason while Derrick and I had Buffalo Chicken Pizza. It turned out pretty yummy, but just wasn't as good as crazy bread in my opinion! The cheesy garlic sticks and pizza dough recipe can be found here.


So anyways, the other day I decided to make pasta with a creamy rose sauce that I had seen on Pinterest and thought Crazy Bread would go well with it. The pasta was an EPIC FAIL. Derrick wouldn't even eat it. He said the smell of it made vomit rise in his throat., which would have offended me, but I already knew it tasted kind of funny...Mason ate it, but then the next day when I tried to give him leftovers for lunch, he wouldn't let me put it in his mouth! I thought it was ok, but definitely missing something...all it was, was you sautee garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil, then when the garlic starts to brown, add a can of crushed tomatoes, and simmer about 10 mins until thick. (I pureed everything before this next step because Derrick won't eat chunks of tomatoes). Then stir in 1/2 cup cream or milk. I think the bitter taste of the canned tomatoes, and the overwhelming taste of olive oil (it called for 1/4 cup!) was just too much...topped with lots of parm, it wasn't that bad, but then I'm not really that picky...so anyways, we won't be making that again! Derrick ended up just having crazy bread for supper! I guess that's what happens when you don't get home until 9:45--no time to make anything but a bowl of cereal, which he doesn't like anyways....haha!


Back to the Crazy Bread. I used the pizza dough recipe, splitting it in half and using canola oil and honey (those were options on the recipe), as well as unbleached all-purpose white flour. I patted it into a circle with my hands on a piece of parchment, then cut it with a pizza cutter into rectangles. I then baked it about 6 minutes on the parchment, on an upside down cookie sheet as she suggested at 500 degrees, and then immediately brushed it with a mixture of butter, garlic powder, and salt (I don't have garlic salt, and all it really is, is one part garlic powder to two parts salt...but I did about a one to one ratios for this...just eyeball it!), and then sprinkling it with lots of parmesan! You could use fresh garlic, but I wasn't going for that spicy taste that fresh garlic brings, I was going to the authentic Crazy Bread taste.

It was pretty close! And I think the dough part was even better than Little Caesars! It was soft and fluffy, yet a little chewy, the way pizza dough should be! It was so yummy and I ate wayy to much of it...forcing myself to save half of it for Derrick...I didn't even take a picture because it was half gone by the time I thought of it...I suppose I still could have, oh well! Next time!


If you're reading this and have a mixer with a dough hook, you should definitely make this! It is not hard at all! Your mixer does most of the work, and you just dump in ingredients!


In other news, Mason is now drinking slightly cold milk...haha, we'll get there soon....and if this weather ever decides to stay nice, I'll get his bed frame spray painted black (it's scuffed up and white right now), so I can set it up in his room! Maybe I'll do that before I take away his bottle, as his bottle helps make him nice and drowsy...hmmmm

In the meantime, can you guess what I'm making for Mason? Jake was "helping"... :P


2 comments:

  1. I'm trying the pizza bread recipe tonight! Except I don't have a nifty bread mixer so I kneaded it by hand... and I don't have bread flour... annnd this is the first time I made anything bread-ish that wasn't just cake. So wish me luck as I eat it!

    Just so you know, this is the second recipe that you've posted that I've tried and I'm pretty sure Ben thanks you for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope it turned out ok! I forgot to say that I just used regular flour also...let me know if it was delicious!!

      Delete