Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tackling that clutter

I don't know about you, but I have a major issue with clutter...I don't like to admit it, and usually can find some excuse or another for it, but it really is an issue...I think it's kind of inherited though lol! I try to work on breaking the habit every now and then, but have never been able to beat it.

If any of you have been on Pinterest, you'll notice that there are often pins about house cleaning. I have re-pinned many of them, but today found the best one for ME. It's found here

I love how she lays it out nice and simple, but ultimately leaves it up to you to figure out your own tasks. After reading through the article, I wrote down the main points that stood out to me, typed them up, and then hung the page in my kitchen. I am excited to share it with my husband! He doesn't have a big problem with clutter, but doesn't really help with the issue either (clothes belong in the hamper honey, not by the bed, beside the couch, or in the front entrance! Praying for the day when we have a mudroom...lol!) Anyways, here's what I got from the article:


The Four Unbreakable Rules
1. Everything has a home.
2. Use it or lose it.
3. Never ignore or pass anything that needs to find its home.
4. Use "little minutes" every chance you get.

Lists
1. Daily chores
2. Individual rooms broken into tasks


Boxes
1. Toss
2. Keep
3. Sell/Donate


Time
1. One hour per day spent
2. 30 minutes for daily chores which can be spread over the day
3. No more than 15 minutes “deep cleaning” one room per day
4. Remaining 15 minutes doing something you like/goal/relaxing/etc.


Remember: You are not “cleaning,” you are “preparing” rooms so that you will have a nice feeling every time you enter them!

Great tips hey! She even jokes around in it, saying things like, 

"I'm so buried I can't find the shovel to dig my way out!

How to get started when it all feels so hopeless.

Don't start with a shovel. Start with a spoon. Or actually three boxes and one corner.

Now you can do one small corner can't you? Of course you can!"
 

How can you not smile at that! I know that for me, the main reason I don't tackle the clutter is because it just seems overwhelming...but today I followed her advice and worked on my kitchen for 15 minutes. Now, my kitchen isn't really that messy. I'm a big believer in clean kitchens and do my best to keep it that way, but the parts that aren't used for food prep always seem to accumulate clutter (the bar on the island, the end of the counter near the side door, half of the kitchen table...). I always clean it up, but it always "magically" re-appears! I'm glad I can use the Four Unbreakable Rules to help stop this now! So now, my kitchen is clutter free! And, I'll follow her advice and work on another room for 15 minutes tomorrow.  

I would highly recommend for everyone to go and read the article...let me know if it helps you out at all! Even if it just changes the way you do one or two things! And I'll let you know how my clutter is doing in a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment